Poronui and Glazebrook Station are owned by the Westervelt Company. Founded by Herbert Westervelt in 1884, today Westervelt is a land resource organization taking an environmentally responsible, socially aware Highest and Best Use approach to nearly 500,000 acres of timberland and natural resources.
Poronui Hunting New Zealand Environmental Statement
We are committed to managing our operations and lands in an environmentally responsible manner. While we create sustainable value from our resources and relationships, we are committed to protecting the environment and to sustaining its quality for future generations.
To achieve this we will:
- Identify and protect high value environmental and cultural sites on our land.
- Continually improve our environmental practices.
- Use natural resources efficiently, reducing, reusing and recycling materials to minimise waste.
- Build long term partnerships with communities, clients and stakeholders to support sustainable environmental improvements.
- Minimise the environmental effects of our operations.
- Demonstrate environmental leadership and encourage other organisations to improve their environmental performance.
To support this we will:
- Ensure our managers are accountable for action plans to deliver environmental improvements
- Comply with the requirements of environmental legislation
- Develop long term environmental plans for our lands
- Protect streamside zones, wetland areas and endangered species habitat
- Promote employee and contractor awareness of environmental issues through continuous training and communication programs
- Monitor and report our environmental performance internally to ensure compliance
- Communicate and train employees and contractors with respect to our environmental practices
We are totally committed to our conservation mission. We follow best management practices in all of our business endeavors, with a mission to preserve land for future generations. We ensure our commitments exceed environmental, legal, and regulatory requirements, and robustly pursue new practices to help support our environmental policy.
Poronui in particular has been identified as a site with special environmental values. The isolation of Poronui, combined with the foresight of its owners, means that large areas of native (indigenous) ecosystems still persist today. In order to enhance these values, we are working pro-actively to manage our outstanding natural environment and create a wilderness retreat for all to enjoy.
The Poronui wilderness is an incredibly valuable natural asset and needs to be preserved for future generations. In the meantime, you can visit this slice of heaven in New Zealand and experience it firsthand.